Saturday 7 September 2013

Review // In This Moment by Autumn Doughton



I keep saying that I will write book reviews and I never do. I haven’t posted for quite a while (I’m super sorry but I’ve not really had anything to say! I know right – me with nothing to say? Never). Anyway, I’m watching Strictly and have decided to write this review as I finished the book this afternoon.

Jibber Jabber over – review time.

I am turning twenty in just a few months and I really think it’s time that I stop reading those awful fantasy YA books that are interesting and easy to read but embarrassing to hold on the train. This has caused me to search through the best sellers, cheap and recommended lists for a new book to read. I managed to stumble upon this book for just 77p! It has taken me about three days to read it and I definitely do not regret reading it all. I loved it!

In This Moment was published just under a month ago. Yes, that’s right – a new release for under a
pound! Apparently there is this new genre ‘New Adult’ which this book has been released in. I assume
it is meant to bridge the gap between books with 16 year old characters and trashy romance novels that
have 30 year old characters. I always enjoy a book more when I can relate to the characters even a little
bit.

The book is focused on two characters, Aimee Spencer and Cole Everly, who are studying at college
(well university – it’s set in Florida). They meet; they fall in love (spoiler? I thought it was obvious from
the title but I’m sorry if you weren’t aware). It just follows their story – which is pretty complicated –
but you just keep wanting to read on.

I absolutely love the way Autumn Doughton writes. She has really put emotion into her writing and
there are multiple quotes that I highlighted as I read the book. Sure, the story is a little bit dramatic at
times but when you are eighteen and in love you would be pretty melodramatic (I assume anyway).
You feel like you know the characters and you feel for them when they ruin their lives and you just
want to give them a hug followed by a stern lecture on the fact that they are being stupid.

Beware: there are a few saucy scenes (or 9) but they are pretty short for those who a little bit prude. I’m so undecided as to whether to recommend this to my friends because they’ll come back to me with ‘OH THAT’S A LITTLE GRAPHIC’. I’m not sure I could deal with that conversation – not unless I’d had a few cocktails first anyway.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I don’t want to give too much away but for 77p it is definitely worth a read. I think, really, I just want my life to have a few aspects from the book. Who doesn’t want to spend a lot of time at the beach? Can I just say the cover is just gorgeous – it made me read the description in the first place.  Basically, if you want a relatively easy read that you’ll fall in love with  - read this.
I really want to read another book by this author and see if I like that as much as I loved this.

4 out of 5 stars

Rachael xoxo

p.s. Buy it here! Help her out! Think about it - that is one less chocolate bar/starbucks hot chocolate. Think of the calories you are saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment