Thursday 26 September 2013

Review // I'VE SEEN THE 1975 LIVE AND THEY ARE AMAZING

Hi guys.

Can I leave the review there? Can I just say that they are amazing and leave it at that? I've only had one lecture today so I really do feel like I can't be that lazy. I'll try and elaborate - I don't see the point though.



The first band of the evening - MMX - are fantastic. Whilst they are maybe not the most upbeat band I've ever heard they are incredibly good live. They are slick and the vocals are so emotional and gorgeous and ergh I can't get enough. I've had a quick listen to their EP 'Child' and I do like it. It is comprised of those almost hypnotic songs that are so chilled and definitely what you need for a long journey or study session. Keep an eye on these guys - they'll do well. 

I won't mention Francesqa right now. They were one of my favourite bands until they split up and they've now reformed as MMX. As soon as I saw them come on stage I thought they looked familiar but it took a couple of songs for me to realise why. It really made my evening!


Next up were Night Engine. As they came on the guy next to me in the crowd shouted 'OH, WE SAW THESE GUYS AT READING. THEY WERE QUALITY' so I was intrigued. They were slick, upbeat and the majority of the crowd seemed to quite like them. The lead singer was definitely a character! They had a good presence on stage and performed well. However, they aren't really my cup of tea. I can 100% understand why people like them but I just didn't click with them. I don't even know why! They had catchy songs, good stage presence and played really well. I'm just repeating myself now but check them out. I'd say they are probably ones to watch.


Personally, against popular opinion, I'm not too keen on The 1975's debut album. I'm not going to lie - there are some amazing standout tracks on it. However, for me I feel that it is too long and there are too many unnecessary tracks on it. Good value for money - yes. However, I think I've only listened to the final 4 tracks about once.

The 1975 as a live act is a different thing entirely. One song in and I already said - well shouted - 'I WANT TO SEE THEM AGAIN'. Luckily, earlier that day I'd just bought tickets for myself and Chris to see them at the LCR in February (The Neighbourhood are supporting and they are amazing okay?) 

Anyway - back to the review. One song in and they had already showed that they were an amazing live band. They were slick, they were together and it sounded great. I can't get over how Matt (lead vocals) performs. His voice is so raw and emotive live. The songs have so much more meaning live than on the album. I would happily hear a live album over a produced album any day after that performance. I really wish I knew more complimentary musical terms but I cannot stress enough how fantastic these guys were. Sure, they weren't perfect but you can see the potential. They will become a huge live band and I can't believe I saw them in a venue as small as The Waterfront.

I had a fantastic night and all three bands were brilliant. If you are thinking about seeing The 1975 live just book your tickets now. I am still in awe over their performance last night - that doesn't happen very often.

Have you seen The 1975 live or want to any time soon? What are your views? Let me know!

Rachael xoxo

p.s. I apologise for the picture spam but I got so many photos that I love that I couldn't choose which ones to post. 

p.p.s. I also apologise for the quality of the photos. I just took them on my iPhone and a couple are Instagram ones too and I haven't had time to bug Amber for the photos she made me take on her camera. I totally didn't even think about taking a camera (not that it would be much use without a memory card!)


No comments:

Post a Comment