Wednesday 8 January 2014

Review // Divergent by Veronica Roth



Say hello to my first proper post of 2014 - a book review!
I'm already on my third book of the year so I thought I'd best catch up and write some reviews.
I started reading Divergent on New Years Day. By the 3rd of January I had already started Insurgent. I think that alone tells you how much I loved Divergent and this review will tell you why!
First, before I really get into this, I want to write this with as few spoilers as possible. I don't like it when reviews tell me the story lines. If I want to know what happens I'll look on Wikipedia. This will be more of a 'feelings' type review so don't you worry about me spoiling much (I hope!).

So Divergent is focused on Beatrice Prior - a 16 year old girl in a dystopian society split into factions (think Hunger Games districts but they can mingle). She goes and makes some decisions that get her into some massive trouble and then kind of fixes the problem (kind of) and that's about it. If you want a taxing book that will make you think (and are over the age of 16) then this book isn't for you. However, if you want a page-turning, interesting read that you can't put down, then this is definitely for you. 

I hate to say it, but chances are, if you liked The Hunger Games you will probably like this book.

So much is going on, the whole way through the book. You are constantly finding new information out that changes the way you view the situation entirely. You are seeing events as they unfold through Tris' eyes and you really feel that you are there. There is violence, deceit, love, conflict - everything you need to keep interested.

Like I said - I don't want to ruin it for you! It's hard to write a review without saying what happens explicitly.

Now that I've read this book I really want to take up some form of martial arts or Kickboxing. I also feel like I want to be more reckless - I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing. However, this book does make you think about who you are as a person.

 I know that sounds cliche.

However, when people are separated into factions, depending on specific personality traits, it makes you think about yourself. Am I selfless? Am I reckless? Am I ruthless? Do I want nothing but peace or knowledge? After reading this book I still don't know.

Basically, I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. I became a hermit, sitting on the sofa, not letting my parents turn on the TV. I am glad I've read it now (in the safety of my own home) rather than on the bus to uni. There is quite a good chance that if I had read it on the bus I'd probably have had an involuntary twitch ending in me kicking someone in the leg or elbowing their chin. 

You'll understand me when you read it.

4 out of 5 stars

Have you read Divergent yet or is it on your to-read list?
Let me know!

Rachael xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment