Tuesday 20 November 2012

Review: Revlon ColourStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow Quad in Siren

Superdrug at the moment are offering a 3 for 2 mix and match on all of their cosmetics. I always take advantage of this offer but by that, I mean spend way too much money in Superdrug. Just a tip, Superdrug give 10% student discount to NUS Extra card holders! Show them those student cards!

Anyway, I seem to have a small obsession with Revlon Products recently. I must have spent about £50 on Revlon products in the past 3 months or so and it’s killing my bank balance. I have had my eye on this palette for a couple of weeks so unfortunately, I did pick it up.

At £7.99, it is not a cheap palette. I have had many more colours for less money, but as it is Revlon, I expected the quality to be better than most. I have various smoky eye palettes from other brands, like Avon, but on a whim, I picked this up. I was going out for dinner in the evening so thought, ‘hey, why not?’

The palette consists for 4 complimentary colours. Top left is a shimmery silver and top right is a shimmery purple/grey. Bottom left is a shimmery taupe and bottom right is a matte black. The matte black has specks of glitter, but they aren’t prominent – especially when the eye shadow is on.

The packaging is okay. You can clearly see each colour through the clear window in the glossy black casing. It is a pretty classic, almost cliché, packaging for eye shadows. I am a fan of the old style Revlon shadow palettes – a long thin strip of each eye shadow. However, I don’t dislike this new style – it’s just different. Each eye shadow is a different size and I assume that this corresponds to the suggested application on the back of the palette.

Swatches ( I apologise for the bad quality, but it really shows how unpigmented these shadows are):

From using the palette a couple of times, I have found that the eye shadows are not very pigmented. They are very shimmery, except the black, and it takes a lot of shadow for a colour to be seen. I found that application was slightly easier with a proper eye shadow brush rather than the foam applicator given. Even with three layers of each shadow, I found it to be a very subtle smoky eye. For some, a subtle smoky eye is exactly what they are looking for and if this is you…go for this! However, I like a very dark, dramatic smoky eye so this palette doesn’t fit the bill. I find it so weak that I could potentially get away with full application during the day. The matte black actually wears as a dark grey - can you imagine how pale the other shadows are?

The colours are very complimentary and blend together well. If you don’t mind taking your time to apply the shadow, you can create a very dramatic look. After putting the shadow on my eyes (and hands when swatching) my skin felt significantly softer.

Unfortunately, I felt like there was quite a bit of fall out with this eye shadow. Because so much is needed to get a serious colour, I feel like I’m losing the same amount of shadow that I’m putting on my eye. It is significantly reduced to other, cheaper palettes but I still was quite disappointed with how much was lost. Again, I can’t stress enough how un-pigmented these shadows are. For the price they were, I expected much darker colours.

Lastly, does the shadow last for 16H? In short, no. I went out for a meal followed by an evening in a club and the eye shadow stayed for the whole evening. When I put it on at 8 in the morning, it lasted all the way till 6pm. However, if I was going to go out in the evening, I would definitely re-apply the shadows. It might only need to be a touch up – but new shadow would need to be added. I hear that when wearing an eye primer the shadow lasts even longer – but I’m not too keen on primers myself so I doubt I’ll try that.

So, overall, the palette is of okay quality. It gives a nice effect but is not pigmented enough for the money that I spent. For some people, £7.99 is not an expensive palette but when I’m living on a student loan I do feel a tad guilty spending that amount of money on one piece of make up. If you want a subtle smoky eye then this is the product for you. If you want something a little darker and more dressy, then don’t be tempted to pick this up.

Rachael xoxo

2 comments:

  1. i tend to pass on their eyeshadows but their lip products are amazing!

    vickyhoang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally agreed on the lip products!
      i am still obsessed with the lip balm stains!

      Delete