Tuesday 23 July 2013

Review: Nivea Daily Essentials Express Hydration Primer (dry/sensitive skin)

You may or may not know this, but I do not like primers. I have tried various brands - Avon, Smashbox, Benefit to name a few - and have never found any that I would buy again. Actually, I haven't ever finished a tube (and they are usually tiny tubes!) Sure, The Porefessional is okay but I would never buy a full size! Recently I got my Elemis moisturiser free with a magazine (was it Marie Claire?) and I started using that as a primer with brilliant results. Now I am finished with it and I was sad - until I found this! It is my new favourite product! I love it!



I picked this up in Sainsbury's when I went food shopping with my mum because the shelf said '£1.99' so we both picked one up (one for normal skin and one for dry/sensitive). We got to the till and it came through at £4.99 so I checked the shelf again and absolutely everything on the shelf was £1.99 apart from those two products which were right in the middle of everything. I said to take them back but my mum refused. Sainsbury's, you got away with it this time. That might not happen again - that was too cheeky for my liking. However, now I have used it I believe it is 100% worth the price tag (which really isn't too steep in the first place!)


As you can see, it is just an ultra moisturising base for your make up. You can use it alone, and it is a really good moisturiser on its own anyway. It is a strange texture - a mix of a cream and a gel - and is really cooling. It is quite light and you use so little to cover your whole face. I don't think I even use a pea sized amount! A little goes such a long way with this primer. I have never found a primer that goes so far. I've seen that some people have complained that the tub is quite small but it goes such a long way that I think it'll last me until Christmas. Yes, I am being serious.


I generally have quite dry skin - especially in the winter - and foundation usually goes patchy over the tops of my cheeks where it is driest. Now I have been using this primer for about a week (alongside a new daily scrub) my skin is so soft and moisturised! I cannot believe how quickly my skin has changed. In fact, it is probably now closer to being oily than than dry. Maybe it is too heavy for the summer, but I can imagine it being a godsend when it comes to December/January with the harsh Norwich winds (is that a thing? I'll make it a thing).

Overall, this product is amazing! My foundation now glides on smoothly and it really doesn't look like I am wearing anything on my face at all. It absorbs seriously quickly and you need so little that it will last for ages. I now use even less foundation than I was using and I wasn't using a full pump before. I understand why it was a Cosmo reader recommendation last year. I think if I had to give one flaw of this product it would have to be that it makes my face very shiny (especially when adding foundation to it). However, that is easily fixed with some powder on top. 

Note: buy some translucent powder. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've heard the Rimmel Stay Matte is very good.

I love this product. Even though it was an impulse purchase I am so glad I picked it up. Remember Sainsbury's - you got away with it this time. It won't happen again.

Rachael xoxo

1 comment:

  1. For powder defiantly try the rimmel stay matt. It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete