Tuesday 23 July 2013

What I'm Reading #1

Hi there!
I know, I have been awful with posting recently. I can't even give you a valid excuse for my lack of productiveness because I can't think of one. I have been sitting around, watching awful daytime tv and thinking about posting but not actually doing it. I have done a bit of reading, so I thought I'd post up the books I've ravished in the past month or so.



Firstly, I finally finished Pride and Prejudice. Anyone that knows me will know that I started it back in about March and never finished it. I got to about Chapter 10 (of 61) and then put it down and never picked it up again. Well, I didn't pick it up again until the beginning of July. I had managed to read another 11 or so books between March and July (at least) but I am so glad that I finally finished! I think I'll have to say it is now one of my favourite books. It is funny, interesting and just ergh. I can't describe it but I love this book. I want to have the confidence and wit that Elizabeth has (and Mr. Darcy too if that isn't too much to ask). Overall, if you haven't actually read Pride and Prejudice yet I am telling you to read it. Sure, it can take a while to get into but it is such a lovely book. If you are still unsure, just watch the film with Kiera Knightley in it. Watching that will make you want to read the book - believe me!


I picked this book up in Edinburgh from The Works. The Works' on Princes Street is amazing and I could not decide what book to pick up. They had at least over 100 in their £1.99 or 3 for £5 deal. In the end I picked up this one because it looks like (to me anyway) that the dress on the front cover is from one of the past Elie Saab collections. Okay, I'm 99.9999999% sure it is. (See here). Yes, it is different colour but it is the same dress. ANYWAY, I picked up this book as an easy read to pass the mornings whilst waiting for the arena to open at T in the Park and for the plane ride home.
Unfortunately, I underestimated how quickly I would read this book and by the time it got to going home on the Monday I only had 50 pages left so had to pick another book up before heading to the airport. Come on, who is going to pay £7.99 from the WH Smiths in an airport when I can get one from £1.99 from the works. THIS GIRL ISN'T. 
This book is a mindless, easy read but it kept me turning the page. I couldn't put it down. You really feel for the characters and it has a few clever twists and turns that get you thinking. Do I regret reading this book? Definitely not. Am I embarrassed to still be reading YA supernatural fiction? Just a bit. I love the classics but after about 30 pages my head hurts from all the long words and tiny print on a page. I think I'm less embarrassed to be reading this book than 50 Shades of Grey though. I don't think I'll ever go that far.

So basically, if you see this book cheap and you want something easy to read - I'd buy it. If you are 13-17, yeah, you can buy it. Now that I am 20 (TWENTY!?) in a few months I do feel a bit stupid reading this book, but hey! I enjoyed it and it has a pretty dress on the front cover. Honestly, that is the reason I picked it up!


This is the book I picked up on the way to the airport for, you guessed it, £1.99. I was stuck between two books and in the end Chris said 'go for the more historical one Rachael. Read a real book'. This is coming from the boy who has not read fiction in the past 5 years but in the end I picked it up because Richard and Judy told me to. I'm only about half way through it at the moment but it is good! It is written very well and you feel so much for the characters. Apparently, it only gets better from here so I need to get back to reading it. I am really excited to finish it (especially as it is a proper adult book. Wooo!)

So, there we go. These are the books that have been reading to pass the time recently. I would recommend them all. I have downloaded a couple of books on my tablet for when I do finish The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite which I can't wait to read either. How am I going to cope when I go back to uni? I don't know!

What have you read recently? Do you have any suggestions for books to read this summer? Let me know!

Rachael xoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment