Monday 24 September 2012

Smashbox Weekend!

This weekend has been hectic to say the least (hence the use of 'Smashbox' in the title. It sounds quite hectic to me). On Friday I went to a Smashbox on Location event and following that I saw Joe Brooks live. After a bad morning (losing my railcard) it was actually a lovely day. The best bit was all the FREE PRODUCTS I recieved!

Fortunately, my zombie-like internet surfing came in useful when I saw look.co.uk advertising the Smashbox on Location event in London. I wasn't originally going to attend but I couldn't help myself when I found out that I was in London anyway. I love a happy accident. These items came in a lovely canvas bag which isn't pictured. I'll probably use it for the lab or something.

First is the Halo Highlighting Wand in Pearl. Only the first 750 who entered received this product and I was shocked when I was given one as soon as I got through the door. It does what it says on the box - it is a cream, shimmery highlighter. When I had my make-up done by one of the many make-up artists this is the product she focused on. I use it on my cheek bones, under my eyes, on my eye lids and sometimes on my nose. It blends in pretty well with my foundation (so much sometimes that I don't see it at all!) but does give a little bit of a fresher look without the use of blusher. This is definitely my favourite gift from the bag!

I am not a fan of primer. Of course Smashbox had to give me their Photo Finish Primer! I've tried so many that I have completely given up on using them. The tubes are always so small and the product never seems to go very far when I use it so I just get annoyed with them. However, this primer does seem to be a better consistency in comparison to other brands I have tried (such as Avon). I have yet to try it on my face (rather than my hand) but it does make the skin on my hand much softer!

I am thoroughly disappointed with this Full Exposure mascara. I was actually given two of these as they were in balloons on the way out. At first I refused to take one because I was about to go on the tube but when the model told me that mascara was in it I took two! The full size version of this mascara retails at $19 and I know I would never spend that on it and if I did I would never buy it again! The brush is fantastic and gives a good coverage with minimal clumping. However, the mascara has no staying power what-so-ever (much like Benefit's Bad Gal Lash).When I looked at the packaging and the brush I did notice that they looked oh-so-similar and they perform similarly too unfortunately. I cannot take away that it does give separated, full, long lashes on first application. However, an hour down the line, my lashes seem to have lost a lot of length. In my opinion high street mascaras, such as Maybelline's Falsies, have much more staying power than both expensive mascaras I have tried.

There could be reason for this - although when sell products to the general public this should not be an excuse. Smashbox originally was created for Hollywood and photoshoots. Therefore good results are needed and staying power isn't essential. High Street products are created for the every day worker/commuter/student to wear and it is expected to last all day. Simple. However, I won't be buying the mascara.

Please ignore my silly face. I accidentally took this photo and unfortunately it is the only photo I took that shows the colour well enough. This is Smashbox's Lip Enhancing Lipgloss in Tease. I opened the box and the colour in the tube is gorgeous! It is a deep purple lip gloss with more of a pink tint than blue. I would probably call it a berry. The brush is a proper lip brush rather than fabric applicator and from that alone I had huge expectations. However, I put the gloss on and it looked horrible! It kind of dripped down my face unless I put a really thin layer on. Also, the colour is very sheer. I can imagine you being able to layer the gloss to get a stronger purple but in my eyes you shouldn't have to layer a gloss. I also found it to be very sticky - not good. However, this could be down to personal preference. I am a big fan of lip stains/sticks. I cannot praise the Revlon Balm Stain's enough - they are my perfect product! I think because of this, I haven't appreciated this lip gloss as much as others. Reviews are raving about this product and I don't see the appeal. Maybe I will play around with it some more and it'll become a make-up bag staple. We'll see.

Overall, these are good products. However, with their high price tag they need to be! I am unsure if I would buy them at full price but as they were a free gift I am over the moon! I do love the Halo Highlighter wand but I am sure I could find something that works just as well for a much lower price. I guess this is the budget-savy student in me speaking here (although I am still desperate for a Chanel nail varnish!)

No comments:

Post a Comment