Monday 10 September 2012

Two Door Cinema Club @ O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire

Can I just start this by saying that Two Door Cinema Club were fantastic!

Well, I am now completely over waiting for hours on end outside venues so decided to turn up when doors opened. I've done my fair share of waiting around (at the age of 15-16) and after a while it gets boring and all your friend does is moan so I don't wait outside venues for very long anymore. Anyway, I waltzed in at 7 and joined the o2 priority queue - best thing ever.

I was utterly shocked at the fact that it was so empty when I arrived. I managed to get 2/3 row and as I said - i did not wait one second! It seemed like everyone had gone to seating and there could not be more than 50 of us in stalls standing. Of course, this changed.

First up was Theme Park who have a very similar style to TDCC. Their set was upbeat, full of catchy riffs and a strong beat. They definitely liked their guitars (4 if i remember correctly)and a good harmony. Either way, they had a definite style and their set was quite enjoyable.

The second support band were Citizens! and again they gave a rather impressive set. They reminded me quite a bit of The Drums although slightly less manic on stage. They also had upbeat, catchy riffs that you can easily dance to. The band definitely had some stage presence and tried to get the crowd dancing. Unfortunately, it seemed that the crowd were there for TDCC and TDCC only. However, I wouldn't complain if I saw these guys again. I'm am totally going to listen to their album.

Two Door Cinema Club did not disappoint on Thursday. I saw them at Reading in 2011 and had no clue who they were but loved them so bought their album for a fiver the day I got back. Unfortunately I missed them at Reading this year because they clashed with the Foo Fighters and I really couldn't miss that. For me, they are one of those bands that I just clicked with straight away. You just can't explain it.

The guys opened with "New Year" off of their new album and, for me, it is the best song on the new album. It was a good start. They sounded very slick the whole way through even with the new material. What I enjoyed most was that they had a good mix of new and old. There were more old songs but they are what the crowd like and know. I hate it when bands get a new album out and completely ignore their old material. Seriously, every time a band does that I just want to shout out 'Hey! The old album does exist you know? I don't know your new stuff so give it a rest already!'

Okay, so basically, they were good and slick and I loved it. If you are ever unsure about getting tickets to see them just do it. It'll be one of the best gigs you will go to and you will not regret it.

Well, I never do.

No comments:

Post a Comment