Friday 28 September 2012

Wait, they sell that?!: Wallis

I have always held the view that Wallis is a shop which focuses on an older clientele. They sell a lot of formal dresses for office work and their day wear is often very frumpy. This view is confirmed when I hear my Nan talking about this new skirt she bought from there that cost her only £30 in the sale. Oh yeah, and they are incredibly expensive. I can't forget that.

Two Christmas' ago I was looking for a cape for my mum. She wanted a thick cape that was made out of wool (yet not kitted) so was warm. She works as a driver so coats aren't the most appropriate choice for outer wear. I remember going into Wallis back then and seeing a gorgeous camel coat and leaving it because my Mum didn't like it and it cost £80. It then went into the sale and I never bought it. Since then I haven't stepped into the store until now.

My sister has recently bought a new jumper from Wallis that she loves. It's thick and soft and it looks like she'll wear it all winter. Even better, it was in the Sale and only cost her £25. You might pay that for a jumper in Primark these days! Because of this, I gave in and looked on Wallis' website and this is what I found.

Now, does that Black coat look familiar to you? It is pretty similar to the coat I adore in Urban Outfitters. However at £85, it is £30 cheaper than the more 'hip' store who are, again, overpriced. It also looks a much better quality in the photo - that is a must! I still cannot comprehend spending £85 on a coat (especially considering that I paid a tenner for mine last year in Primark). However, if I somehow come into a big lump sum of money, I would definitely consider trying on that coat.

Secondly, there is the Stone Fur Collar Cocoon Coat which is only £69. I say only, but that is still a lot of money! It perhaps isn't as an appropriate colour, but again it has this huge fur collar that I love! I'm not too sure the cocoon shape will be flattering but I guess it is a case of trying the coat on. I haven't managed to find any coats in this style for less than £70 so if you are going to buy one, you might as well get a good quality item.

Now, I looked all over the website and only found one other item of clothing that I liked in the form of this Black V Back Maxi Dress. I like the high slash neck and the simplicity of the dress but I adore the back. The deep V is so unique and elegant. All it would need is a nice pair of black sandals, a chignon and some red lipstick. At £60 I would not buy this dress unless it looked spectacular on. I have no reason to own the dress but I can't help but admire the design.

Has that changed your view on Wallis? I think I would pop in if I passed one in town, but I would not make it a priority. Let me know! Rachael xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment