Thursday 22 August 2013

AW13 at Matalan

Hi there!
As you may, or may not know, I used to work at my local Matalan store. It was just a tad handy working there because you could see the new stock as soon as it came in and, occasionally, when I was unpacking the new stock I would comment on every single item I could get my hands on (it both entertained and annoyed those around me). Whilst I was working I never really found much that I liked. Yes, there were a few gems that I loved but for the most part I didn't spend a lot of my wages in store. Since I have left (almost a year ago!) it seems like they have had an overhaul on their designs and the past three times I've visited I've ended up spending stupid amounts of money. The new AW13 preview has been released on look.co.uk and these are my fave bits (all photos are either from www.look.co.uk or www.matalan.co.uk)


Buckle detail ankle boot - I love a bit of oxblood and a little bit of a heel on a boot. I am surprised that these boots have come from Matalan! On first look I was like 'I LOVE THESE AND NEED THEM IN MY LIFE' but now I'm thinking more 'they are actually just hideous old lady shoes in a nice colour'. I think I'd need to see them in person. Oh, and apparently they are £40 so they'd better be leather! We'll see - I think I want chelsea boots this year.

Animal print pencil skirt - I love my jersey pencil skirt from Matalan. It cost £10 and is double layer and just lovely - so much better than the one layer versions. I want a tartan pencil skirt but this one popped up. I could pair this with my cropped oversized blouses or jumpers and it's quite fun and rocky but still a tiny bit sophis at the same time. At only £14 it's a bit of a bargain for a statement piece in your wardrobe!

Metallic thread skater - Apparently this skirt has a metallic thread running through it. It looks a tad tweedish in the picture making it look cute (in my opinion). I really need a couple of new skater skirts and I may get this one (or maybe not. I don't really need a grey skirt).

Rogers Tape-knit jumper - This is already in store! It's from the plus size Rogers and Rogers collection and I love this! The blouse (well collar and bottom) are white chiffon with a cute heart print and the jumper is a nice thick navy wool. Slight problem - what bottoms would you wear it with? I have both black and navy jeans and neither would go. Camel jeans maybe? I don't need to go buy camel jeans.

Peter pan collar jumper - now this is something I can wear! It is also in store at the moment and it's the cutest little jumper ever! You can wear it with jeans or skirts and it is also available in grey. The wool is so soft that you just want to cuddle it. It's one of those jumpers you just pull on and it instantly gives you a 'put together' look for those awful 9am lectures.

Tartan shawl - I do love a good cape. I really want a cape coat this year and it seems like there are quite a few out this year. I could settle for a cape-like shawl like this. It depends completely on how nice the tartan print is. No likey, no buyey (did I seriously just type that? I don't even watch Take Me Out or whatever that show was)

Croc bag - I do love a bit of croc when it comes to bags. I usually carry the world with me when I go out to town but I do want to try carrying the bare minimum. This bright red bag could work day and night and is just a really lovely bright red that would be a little bit harder to loose. I like it okay?

So these are my picks from the new season at Matalan! Take a look for yourself and (just a bit of advice from a former employee) if you see something you like, just buy it. There is such a fast product turn over and very few lines are repeated. You have 30 days to take it back if you do change your mind. I have been burned way too many times.

Rachael xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment