Sunday 12 May 2013

Maybelline ‘Volum’ Express The Mega Plush’ mascara review


I picked this little guy up in Target during my trip to America over a month ago. At the time it had not been released in the UK and it was only $5.50. I couldn’t pick it up quick enough! It was a bristle brush (which is fantastic for me – I hate plastic brushes) and of course seriously cheap for a Maybelline mascara. Now I’ve finally run out of my last tube of Falsies, it’s time for this mascara to have a run.

Maybelline Volum' Express Mega Plush mascara - isn't the packaging gorgeous!?

Maybelline Volum' Express Mega Plush mascara - it's a pretty big brush. I'm not quite sure it's as big as Scandal'Eyes though.


According to the Maybelline website:

“Our first gel-mousse mascara with 40% less hard waxes for massive volume with a supple touch. Extra-soft, patented Flexor Brush caresses lashes. Lashes never brittle or flaky.”
            http://www.maybelline.com/products/eye-makeup/mascara/volum-express-the-mega-plush-mascara.aspx

That is a lot to live up to isn’t it? Honestly – I was a tad skeptical. I am a fan of Maybelline mascaras so I guess I was expecting something amazing. Amazing is not what I got unfortunately.

Thinking back, I think I am being a little bit harsh on this mascara – but when you have to pay £8 for it in the UK, I will expect something fantastic.

So first, it has a huge brush – much like Rimmel’s Scandal’Eyes which I found difficult to control. It means that there is a lot of coverage and in theory, only a few strokes are needed for a good effect. The ‘flexor brush’ means that there is very little pressure actually put on your lashes as you apply it. That has got to be good right? Sadly it takes a lot more than a few strokes to get the effect that I want – long, full lashes without clumps.

On the Maybelline website it says ‘do not let dry between coats’ and by God do NOT! If you let it dry it just clumps more. In my opinion this is a very clumpy mascara. Sure, it isn’t as bad as Benefit’s ‘They’re real’ but for a bristle brush it is very clumpy. Due to the mascara actually being a gel, rather than a runnier consistency, you can only work with it when it is wet. I suppose the thicker consistency means it is more prone to clumping too – sucks huh?

However, the one thing I do love is the fact that my lashes are supple and less flaky! Falsies does tend to make my lashes a tad stiff and I do worry about them breaking/falling out when I use an eyelash curler on them but I seriously do not have that worry with this mascara. My eyelashes feel softer and maybe even a little stronger.

Okay, so this mascara does give volume and length (if you work quickly and carefully with it). You have to be so careful at where/how you apply it. If you are, you can get a relatively clump free, long, plumped lash look. If you don’t – well welcome to clump city.

Like I said, I think I’m being a tad harsh on this mascara. It isn’t dreadful. It does what it says on the bottle. I’m just an avid falsies girl. If they could improve the formula so it clumped a little less and put it with the falsies brush – I think they’d have a winner.

Have you tried this new Mega Plump mascara? If you have comment below with your opinion/tips for best application!

Rachael xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment